Under the patronage of the MoEW, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the IPT Energy Center (IPTEC) are organizing the Second Energy Awareness Awards. The programme recognizes public and private institutions and individuals (businesses, youth, start-ups, entrepreneurs and academia) for significant contributions to energy sustainability in Lebanon. UNDP is one of the operational arms of the United Nations that works with partners in numerous countries to promote sustainable development, environmental sustainability, eradication of poverty, advancement of women, good governance and the rule of law. WIPT Energy Center (IPTEC) is a specialized research center in Lebanon, established by IPT. The center is behind a wealth of research and studies on energy, oil, and gas, in addition to specialized programs that strive to enhance knowledge on energy conservation and efficient energy use. Under the umbrella of the Energy Awareness Awards, UNDP and IPTEC aim to promote the sustainable consumption of energy resources and raise awareness level on energyrelated matters. The objective of the awards is to recognize efforts put forth by institutions and organizations in reducing their energy footprint and integrating sustainable practices within their respective fields. Ultimately, these initiatives would contribute to reducing air pollution at the local level and improve environmental performance also through the reduction of Greenhouse Gas Emissions (GHG) contributing to climate change. Applicants are given a chance to be rewarded for accomplishments within different categories that contribute to energy sustainability. Project could include developing on-site renewable and/or sustainable energy sources; repairing and replacing inefficient equipment; installing energy-related green information technology software and hardware; right-sizing fleets while increasing the use of alternative fuels and alternative fuel vehicles; developing and advancing new processes to improve productivity; and promoting sustainability through collaborative partnerships, education and outreach.
The awards recognize outstanding achievements in:
- Private sector (industries, banks, etc.)
- Academia (universities or vocational schools)
- Youth Innovation, and entrepreneurship
- Local level (municipalities)
- Category I- Private Sector: The Lebanese private sector is the engine of economic growth and development in Lebanon, and is usually looked upon to bring the investments required for transformational change, and Lebanon is seeking this change through the way it produces and uses energy. This category will recognize a private sector institution that has carried out and implemented, fully, a programme or project within its owned facilities and/or that impacts the way it operates, which has reduced its energy use and greenhouse gas emissions, either through energy efficiency, renewable energy, sustainable transport, alternative fuels, and/or any action that has led to a reduction of greenhouse gas emissions (or a combination of these).
- Category II- Academia: Universities and technical schools have a responsibility to be key drivers for better change in Lebanon, and key references to follow for a better future. This category targets both Higher Education (i.e., Universities) and vocational schools. This category will recognize a higher educational institution and/or vocation school that has carried out and implemented, fully, a program or project within its owned facilities and/or that impacts the way it operates, which has reduced its energy use and greenhouse gas emissions, either through energy efficiency, renewable energy, sustainable transport, alternative fuels, and/or any action that has led to a reduction of greenhouse gas emissions (or any combination thereof).
- Category III- Youth, Innovation & Entrepreneurship: Lebanon is encouraged to be a core part of the energy revolution, and not just a recipient of imported technologies and applications that assist our shift towards a more sustainable energy system. This category targets innovative ideas led by one or group of persons (Lebanese nationals aged between 18 and 29) and / or established startups that can be either a new technology, application, and/or invention, that targets the way we use energy and transport. The idea and/or innovation must target renewable energy, energy efficiency, sustainable transport, mitigation of greenhouse gas emissions, and can be also any relevant application that targets people and society, i.e., that targets behavioral impacts.
- Category IV- Local Government: ‘Think Global, Act Local’ is a phrase that best captures our hope to tackle the threat of climate change. This category will recognize a municipality (or union of municipalities) that has carried out and implemented, fully, a program or project within its jurisdiction, which has reduced the overall energy use and greenhouse gas emissions of homes and/or institutions within the municipality, either through energy efficiency, renewable energy, sustainable transport, alternative fuels, and/or any action that has led to a reduction of greenhouse gas emissions (or any combination thereof).The award will be in the form of an Appreciation Award.
The awards recognize outstanding achievements in:
* Renewable Energy
* Energy Efficiency & Conservation
* Mitigation of Climate Change
* Innovation in Energy
* Integrated Category
- The competition runs biannually.
- Two winners for every category will receive a substantial prize, a medal and a certificate issued by UNDP and IPTEC.
- Potential shortlisting for another national, regional, and/or international award(s).
GUIDELINES FOR APPLICANTS
- Applications open on 13 March 2018
- Applications close on 15 June 2019
- Eligible applicants are public (local authorities) and private institutions and organizations including businesses, individual youths or youth groups and academic sector with demonstrated interventions in the field of energy management (except for category III).
HOW TO APPLY?
To make a nomination, download and fill the Expression of Interest form available on http://www.iptgroup.com.lb/iptec-booklets and submit it in a sealed envelope to the following address:
To the attention of Mrs. Gaelle Kibranian
Arab African International Bank Bldg
Riad El Solh Street
Nejmeh, Beirut 5211 2011
Working Hours: Monday – Friday, 9am - 4:00pm
The application file should include the below documents:
For projects of applicants that would have an impact on the community/village, include an endorsement letter from the relevant local authority. Commercial registry for businesses or registration papers for start-ups and academic institutions. For category III applicants, please present a copy of the IDs of individuals and a business plan.
Ms. Marielle Kalache
Direct Line: 01-962511/ 01-962509
Mrs. Rana Assaker
Direct Line: 09-624111 ext. 311
Ms. Eliana Badran
Direct Line: 09-624111 ext. 755