Short Title: NDCSP
UNDP Programme/Portfolio: Environment & Energy
Geographic Coverage: Lebanon
Project Status: Ongoing
Start Date: 01 January 2018
Expected End Date: 31 December 2020
Implementing Agency: Ministry of Environment (MoE)
To achieve the goals of the 2015 Paris Agreement which aims at holding the increase in the global average temperature to well below 2°C above pre-industrial levels and pursuing efforts to limit the temperature increase to 1.5°C, climate action plans, which are called Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs), have been put forward by Parties. Lebanon has submitted its NDC in 2015 and has received further support to improve the assessment, achievement, gender-responsiveness, financing and reporting of its NDC through the Nationally Determined Contribution Support Programme (NDCSP).
The Nationally Determined Contribution Support Programme (NDCSP) strategy aims at achieving the following: mainstreaming gender in climate change plans (including in the NDC) and enhancing gender-responsiveness across sectors; developing incentives to improve the implementation of the NDC, both for the private and public sectors; finding the synergies between the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the NDC for an integrated approach of efforts. This new initiative falls under the umbrella of Lebanon’s Low Emission Capacity Building project that kicked off in 2013.
Achievements & Expected Resutls
- Updating Lebanon's Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC);
- Continue work on linkages between the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the NDC;
- Continue the gender work through NDC policy prioritization and entry-points; more than 20 meetings done with gender focal points and stakeholders in ministries and NCLW;
- Initiate the work with GIZ for the 2019 PATPA retreat taking place in Lebanon in October;
- Support MoE coordination with stakeholders: MoEW/LCEC Project for UNE/CTCN;
- Provide technical and logistic support to the First Beirut Environmental Conference
- Coordinate with Strategy & to prepare the MoE Strategy with air quality;
- The options to update Lebanon’s NDC are assessed, the mitigation options through derisking are enhanced, along with the adpatation options in the NDC, and a pilot scheme for private sector engagement is developped;
- Identify the common entry points for joint NDC and SDG implementation responses through policies, strategies and activities are identified; recommdations are generated;
- A gender-climate analysis is conducted; standard operating procedures for mainstreaming gender in policies and climate instruments are developped, and capacities of stakeholders are built;
- The work of the NDC committee for mitigation is initiated;
- The legal components of the Paris Agreement to institutionalize its implementation is followed-up.