Short Title: LEPAP
UNDP Programme/Portfolio: Environment & Energy
Geographic Coverage: Lebanon
Project Status: Ongoing
Start Date: 01 January 2014
Expected End Date: 31 January 2021
Implementing Agency: Ministry of Environment (MoE)
The objective of the Lebanon Environmental Pollution Abatement Project (LEPAP) is to reduce industrial pollution in targeted industrial enterprises and to strengthen the monitoring and enforcement capabilities of the Ministry of Environment. LEPAP is a joint initiative between the MOE, the Ministry of Finance, Banque Du Liban (BDL), the World Bank and the Italian Cooperation to set up a mechanism for financing the abatement of industrial pollution in targeted industrial enterprises and to provide necessary technical assistance for ensuring the implementation and the sustainability of these interventions.
This project document covers one component of LEPAP which concerns the establishment and operation of the Project Management Unit (PMU) of LEPAP and which will be funded by the Italian Government through the Italian Cooperation.
LEPAP is in line and is fully integrated within UNDP’s support to environmental management in Lebanon. It also reflects the importance given by the different international donors for supporting the environmental agenda in Lebanon.
Achievements & Expected Resutls
- Completion of the 3rd disbursement under the WB loan in the amount of USD 4,151,667 covering sub-loans for 2 new
indsutrial enterprises. With the transfer of this payment, the total amount disbursed under the loan to date would be equivalent to USD 10,631,667;
- Follow up on 3 additional sub-projects; one was already approved and sent to BDL for processing, WWTP (350,000 USD) was submitted to BDL for approval, and a remaining one is being technically and financially evaluated; Also following up with two industries for the preparation of techncial and fianncial sub-projects for the implementation of the WWTP;
- Preparation of Occupational Health and Safety Workshop in coordination with the World Bank team including around 50 participants representing industries which are or have previously collaborated with the LEPAP project and relevant staff from the Ministry of Environment.
- Preparation of WWTP technical consultant to visit Lebanon where a techinal training will be undetaken for Ministries' staff in addition to visits to industries.
- A set of communication activities are initiated to better promote the LEPAP project and environmental compliance in the industrial sector;
- At least 4 potential sub-projects are identified in view of committing the remaining funds under the LEPAP project;
Issues & Difficulties
- Weak participation of the industries in implementation of pollution abatement measures which may affect achieving the set targets
- Additional efforts may be required to align the technical reports completed by the industries to meet WB requirement